Old 01-07-13, 01:46 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 290 Posts
PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga is indeed dicey, and I'd recommend against it. Even the section from Topanga to Malibu Canyon is a bit dicey, IMHO. West of there, it's actually pretty good.

It's worth figuring it out to get the wonderful world of the Santa Monica Mountains is at your disposal. Someone else probably has some good advice on how you can make that transition.

The Braude bike path can be empty or maddeningly crowded. Between MDR and El Porto, it's pretty empty and you can fly to your heart's content. South of El Porto through Manhattan Beach, it separates into a separate pedestrian path, so pedestrians are less of a problem for the most part. Most abide by the rules and stay off the bike path, but YMMV.

In Hermosa, bicyclists and pedestrians share the path. Slow down and be courteous. Expect the unexpected. But the good news is that they installed rockin's sharrows some time ago, so the street is a viable option. Stop at the stop signs, though.

In Redondo, there is technically a separate biking and pedestrian path, but that rule is routinely ignored. I had a dialog with a RB police officer about the subject and he demonstrated his ignorance of California law on the subject ... continued to insist that pedestrians could walk on the bike path at their option.

How crowded they are depends on the season and the time of day. Summer weekend? Packed. Winter night? Empty.

I fought that chilly 20 MPH headwind to work this morning. For some reason, it wasn't crowded at all.