Old 01-08-13, 09:48 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cragcrag
Oh, really? Maybe I'm just assuming that because it can take longer for satellite acquisition on a cloudy day (minutes, sometimes) compared to a clear sky (instant), that the accuracy during a journey at higher speeds wouldn't be as accurate.

For example, I use Endomondo and use the Android app. There have been route logs where instead of it detailing me as a blue curved line round a long right bend, it has me as a straight line cutting across it.

Would that not be the case?
The GPS receivers I've used have reasonably sensitive receivers and acquire pretty quickly and independent of whether it's cloudy. Precipitation can attenuate the signal more, but I haven't experienced any issues with Edge units in rain. They even acquire lock from inside my house, though it may take a minute or two.

GPS wander and recording granularity can affect accuracy at low speeds, over short distances, and over tortuous paths. Garmin includes the capability for wheel sensors to ameliorate these issues. With a wheel sensor, the Garmin will record time, speed, and distance without any satellite reception. Also, some Edge units have what is called Smart Recording, which minimizes the file size for the recorded rides with an algorithm that selectively saves trackpoints. Turning this off can improve accuracy and detail on recorded tracks, especially if they are over tortuous paths, at the expense of larger file sizes. If these are uploaded and deleted from the unit before filling memory, it's not generally and issue.