Old 01-08-13, 11:46 AM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Been there. Done that.

I used a similar 12V trailer light as part of my homebrew lighting system some years ago. I wired mine into an integrated 14.4V system with a digital controller that automatically overvolted my 20W halogen headlights and drove my tail light and an amber strobe in back.

That system was insanely bright and ate juice like crazy. On full blast it would generate so much heat that you could hear rain drops sizzle on the headlights. It also drained a 5AH battery in just under an hour in overdrive.

I abandoned that system because I got tired of carrying a heavy battery with wires run all over my bike. I like the new crop of battery powered tail lights that are available now.

That said: The light was dependable and bright. But it was bulky and inefficient compared to the nicer bicycle specific lights on the market.

Last edited by Hydrated; 01-08-13 at 01:35 PM. Reason: To actually answer the question.