View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 04:08 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The top I wear is about the same thickness of the Rocky shirts that you find at Wal-Mart, maybe not removed from the hunting section yet...maybe. The Rocky shirts(Made In Jordan, black in color with ScentIQ) are compression fit, my top isn't. My Duofold Varitherm top fits just like a t-shirt would. If the temps are in the 20s its about the perfect temperature range for the top. I don't sweat...I don't get cold. Starting around 28-30 degrees I will start to notice the shoulder blades area getting wet as I get home, climbing any time I'm heading toward home. Once you get down to 10-15 degree range I start wanting something more, especially if it's windy outside. I am always wearing a double layer nylon jacket on top of the Duofold for both wind protection and precip protection. I have had one ride already this winter when I left home with sunny skies and abotu 30-30 miles from home I found myself in a long, 25-30 mile long, snow squall. I prefer to make sure I stay dry from the outside the best I can so I always wear the nylon jacket.

Erig007,

One thing you have to remember, things don't always go as planned. You can be riding along, all nice and warm and sweaty as you could ever hope for and than...BAM...a chain link break, you get a flat tire, etc. Now you are trying to work on your bike in 20 degree temps with light snow falling that you wasn't expecting, the forecast wasn't calling for it, and you are starting to chill down nicely thanks to the sweat you have on your skin/clothing.

No thanks, I'll stick to focusing on staying dry. That makes much more sense. I've had myself in several cases, just yesterday alone, where I've been off the bike for 5-15 minutes at a time outside, some planned some unplanned, and I've had no trouble staying warm even though I didn't have all that fancy smancy vapor barrier crap on. How did I do it? I stayed dry...I didn't have to worry about what happens when I'm outside off the bike in the cold, because I'm dry.

The only way to ride during the winter months is to ride dry, not warm. If your sweating...your killing yourself.

Sasquatch16,

I'm not sure what the thickness of the UA is. When you are talking cold are you talking cold as in FL cold or NH cold? Are you talking about riding where a cold day is waking up with overnight lows at the freezing mark, or overnight lows of -10F? There's a big difference there. Read the first paragraph that I wrote and I think you will understand what I'm saying. Your UA may be appropriate, but only at a lower temperature, you may need a thinner layer at warmer temperatures. You may simply, and it sounds that way, have too much warmth for the air temperatures you are riding in.

Yes, I disagree with everybody I have seen write on this message board. Everyone wants to suggest you need to stay warm. That's not been my experience. My experience through being on the bike 7 days a week, at temps from -5F and above, is the first thing you need to do is to stay dry. Sweat will cause your body to lose heat rapidly. If you don't sweat you don't have to worry about losing the body head so fast. You can get away with a whole lot more than someone who is sweating up a storm.

Don't try to remove to the sweat, remove the heat that is causing the sweat and as a result you will stay warm because your body will moderate to a comfortable temperature and you will be able to stay at that comfortable temperature even when $hit hits the fan and you run into trouble.

Remember this...

Would you go out and take the piece of glass out your flat tire and put the tube back in and pump up the tire? Why or why not?

Why go out and remove the sweat or heat up the sweat? Why not go out and remove the sweat before it can form in the first place...doesn't that make so much more sense?

It works for me and has now for the past two winters. I can't complain any at all.