View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 09:24 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have not found that I need to carry more for a longer trip, like a coast to coast one. The load will vary to some extent with the climate, but really not very much.

It might be inconvenient, but it makes sense. The states typically are the jurisdiction that manages the resources, including stocking programs and enforcement. One thing that does help is that many states offer license purchase online so it can be done from your smart phone right at stream side assuming a cell signal. I don't know how common it is, but some states will also sell a license over a voice call, you don't get an actual card, but get a number to give the game warden if asked to. Also, while non-resident licenses can be pretty expensive, most states do offer short term licenses so if you want to fish for a day or a few days the cost isn't as bad.
That's my point, the cost to fish in about 14 states I could be riding through would be expensive, and a nuisance as you pointed out of having to get online and order the licenses. And some states you can only get a day license and others up to 10 days and nothing longer unless you pay for the whole year. But to buy a non-resident license in 14 states could cost roughly $280. The same problem exist for people who travel by RV all over the US, they have to pay for every state they pop into if they want to fish there.

I think there should be a federal fishing and hunting license just as I think there should be a federal drivers license, but at least with a state drivers license I can drive through any state and not get ticket for not having a license for whatever particular state I happen to be driving through...and that's what they should do with fishing licenses, either make it federal or allow one state license to fish in any state.

By the way, in regards to touring across the USA and weight being carried, don't you take a bit more water and food with you then you would on a weekend trip? On my weekend trips there's always a source for water but while riding across the desert or some other area where water could be a bit difficult to find for a couple of days, don't you pack more water and food? Or has finding water & food been a non issue?

Last edited by rekmeyata; 01-08-13 at 09:27 PM.