View Single Post
Old 01-10-13, 03:11 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done all of Skyline Drive more times than I can count at this point. I have lots of specific info if you have particular questions.

Here's a few random points off the top of my head

- Northern half is more hilly and slightly more scenic
- Full supplies are available (in season) at 24, 51, 76? miles at Elk Wallow, Big Meadows and Loft Mountain. You can also stop at Skyland which is the high point of the road
- Don't know about camping options.
- There will be bugs. Not just big horsefly types that hover as you're struggling up the hills, but also little annoying tiny bugs that bite.
- the grade rarely gets above 6%, but there are some longish climbs -- right out of Front Royal, and going both ways up Hogback just north of Elk Wallow for example, or up to the Pinnacles overlook
- there's currently no great place to refuel at the south end of the drive (where it meets the BRP) without riding down into Waynesboro. The climb up from Waynesboro is not too bad though, so that's what I usually do when I turn around at the south end
- Mostly it's not too convenient to ride off of the parkway to get services, except where 211 crosses. The ride down into either Sperryville or Luray is fun (but is a pretty substantial climb back up). You can take Rt 33 down into Standardsville.

That's all I can think of right now.

Oh, and also it's a beautiful ride