View Single Post
Old 01-11-13, 05:46 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
I did not get the logic behind "deflate the tyres to reduce the risk of damage" at the BA web site. How would an inflated tire be damaged or damage something else?
I think that the wheel will be more likely to be undamaged from the rigidity of an inflated tire.
I believe the reasoning is that at high altitude the lower pressure causes the air in the tires to expand and maybe causes tire blowout (or rim damage?)...

That the air in a closed packet of crisps expands I can testify to, so the theory seems sound (pretty scientific huh!), but whether this is really a concern I will leave to greater minds... Airlines however always stipulate that the tires should be deflated... and as we have learnt, nowadays it is best to rigorously follow all and any airline recommendations

As to packing, this is how I do it:
Get a cardboard box from bike shop as well as drop-out spacers and hub protectors (round plastic things). Bike shops will give you these if you ask nicely, they come with new bikes and are thrown away.

Remove , quick releases, pedals, lights, bottles, pump and anything else that isn't fixed to the frame.
Turn handlebars - but be careful if you have a wired computer not to break the wire when lifting the stem.
Unmount rear derailler, pack in bubble wrap and zip tie to chainstay.
Bubble wrap around dropouts, brake levers, crankarms, chainrings, and anything else that sticks out...
Deflate tires
If you have a closed cell sleeping pad, it can be folded around everything inside the box.

Reinforce the box handles with packing tape... the weight causes them to rip otherwise when carried.
Write name, adress, tel nr in big letters on the outside of the box.
Have packing tape handy in case security want to open the box. Stay with your box during this procedure and repack it yourself if necessary.

Pray to any and all gods you may worship...

Last edited by imi; 01-11-13 at 05:51 AM.