Old 01-13-13, 11:19 AM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Do you mean park in Malibu, ride down to Santa Monica, turn around, and return to your car in Malibu? If so I don't really see the advantage. I just moved to Santa Monica last month and have been meaning to try PCH north but don't want to do it solo my first time out. Looking on Google Maps it doesn't look bad north of Temescal Canyon (and you can use the beach path south of there.) There appears to be a pretty decent sized shoulder but I don't know if the cars respect the white line...

To the OP, this is the route I use heading south to Redondo Beach. You want to avoid the beach trail until you get south of Marina Del Ray (it's slow and littered with people.) South of MDR it hasn't been very busy even on the weekends (ya I know, summer is a different story.) If you're new to the area it's a very straight forward ride. It can be extended to around 45-50 miles R/T if you go down to Rancho Palos Verdes. To keep it simple you can just take Main St the entire way through Santa Monica and move over to Ocean if your GF lives north of the Pier.

http://app.strava.com/activities/34657777

Thanks for the advice. I looked at your Strava route...my girlfriend lives at 11th and Washington--literally one block from your starting point!