View Single Post
Old 01-13-13, 03:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Jobs to be put off----

I have had a set of aftermarket C.F. bars in the shed for one of my bikes for about 6 months now This is the only one without "Compact" bars and being a bit on the short side- that bike has never really been comfortable. Well today I decided that I had done enough sitting around so on with the fleece- the windproof and another fleece and I would make a start on changing them. Weather is none too warm and the shed felt even colder. Radio on and find the tools. Only two necessary to start with and they are both in one handy tool--4 and 5 mm allen keys. Took the tape off and I was hoping to save it but there is no way that will go back on. Brifters off next and left them dangling after noting the position in relation to the bend in the bars.

Fitted the bars onto the stem and left just enough slack to nudge the bars into position and fitted the brifters. Tightened up just enough so that every thing was held in place. Adjusted the angle of the bars first then roughly located the brifters. Short trip up the road and everything feels fine so I will be riding this bike to the Gym tomorrow to finally check out that everything is in the right place before I tape the bars. Torqued down to correct pressure (2nd click on the wrist as I do not have a torque wrench) and I am ready to go. Checked the cables and I was surprised. This bike is 6 years old and no corrosion and no frays so it has not had that hard a time.

So one job "Jobbed" and it was one I was not looking forward to. Only took about 30 minutes but I still have to tape the bars. That is one job I am not looking forward to as the only bike I have ever done before was the Pinnie--and it took two attempts to get that right.

So why has it taken me so long to undertake a job that needed doing on the bike? Wish I knew but as the wife said--"Garage Next" and that is one I might leave for a little while longer.

Spike Milligan