View Single Post
Old 01-15-13, 07:08 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There she is. Thats my centry/long distance rider. Hand built from parts to suit me to the 'T'

1) Fuji Outland Pro Frame. Strongest most reinforced mtb frame I've ever seen and very pretty. Got it second hand for $50.
2) Full Shimano Deore gear set/disc brakes. Took me some time and a lot of looking but 90% of that was second hand and it works great.
3) Shimano MT15 wheel set. Strong, colors match perfectly, its only middle of the road but I like it and I got it second hand after almost zero use - the dude took it off a new bike after an upgrade to carbon everything.
4) Full lighting suite. 1600 lumens up front and a solar powered flasher at the back. I can ride the darkest night and still see pefectly.
5) Rock Shox 'Tora' front shock. Lockable, height adjustable, coil spring and oil design make it damn near unbreakable and it can be tuned for dampening speed as well. Again, second hand in good condition.
6) Italian sport seat. Free in fact. It had come apart somehow and no one could put the seat back on the frame. LBS owner told me if I could reassemble it I could have it. So I did. $100 worth of seat for 30 minutes of assembly.
7) SRAM 48-38-28 crank set. I like having a bit more gear room and the 48 really compliments the deore rear cluster. Also the bearings are super smooth. Second hand for $40
8) Full smart phone ready carrying/charging solution so I can both see and run my gps/mapping app... for at least 24 hours (or until my legs get too tired to pedal).

I also have a full set of touring bags/luggage for when I feel like going a really long way and need supplies.

Me and my home built steed have gone 14000km this year alone. I didn't count the centuries but at least a century every week right up to late November when the snow makes it too damn slippery to go anywhere fast. I would have to guess 30-40 at least with the longest ride being 240km in 11 hours with 2000 feet of climbing. Best bike I've ever owned and she stays with me until she falls apart. Whenever I ride this bike I don't want to get off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike 4.jpg (98.9 KB, 743 views)