Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Isn't it ironic?

When I was younger I would have killed for some of the top end bikes I saw in shops but couldn't afford. Now that I've retired and can afford an expensive bike I have absolutely no wish for one. I look round the local dealers but they just leave me cold ( although I admit to seeing some beautiful Colnagos and Pinarellos at the 2012 UK Bike Show, but they were too pretty to ride)

I enjoy looking for old, good quality bikes and parts that I can renovate, swap kit around and get running as good as new.

I've got nothing against new, expensive bikes, in fact I get to ride quite a few when I service and repair bikes for friends, but I don't get the same feeling of ownership as when I've built a bike up. Possibly that's a legacy of my upbringing where money was in short supply, or it may be that I'm just tight.

Perhaps it's because I'm not that good a cyclist and the bike wouldn't change that, or because I don't ride to compete with anyone else but myself.

Anyway, if I had a new bike I'd have to smarten myself up and it's far too late for that.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-19-13 at 06:57 AM.