Old 01-21-13, 01:12 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
There are two levers involved and they experience opposite and equal torques, the lever turning the pin and the lever holding the anvil. The shorter one requires the most force to hold. In the case of most mini-tools, the lever on the pin is reasonably long but the lever on the anvil is short.
Yeah - depends on the mini- tool I guess. In the case of the Tulio you can use the QR sqewer as a lever if you want - I've just never had to. I guess if you want to get into logistics a completely different group of muscles is used on a shop tool vs a mini-tool too. Point being, more finese is required with a mini tool but I have yet to find one that wouldn't do the job. They're designed to pack small first and be ergonomic second. The flip side of this is that its all too common for a ham fisted mechanic to attempt to use brute force with a shop tool and break off the tool pin because it wasn't properly aligned. Putting that much pressure on a mini-tool is very uncomfortable so it doesn't seem to happen.