Old 01-22-13, 12:54 AM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]http://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting ready for touring, getting stuff together, need ideas.

So I am getting the touring bug, bought an used bob trailer and started modifications on it, bottle holders in rear and currently welding up a kickstand. Maybe I will take photos of the kickstand build, pretty cool so far and only 5 bucks spent on metal.
I am going this route using my Seven Ti bike, no braze-ons for racks but the bike was built with heavier tubing designed for me, the clyde. I went relaxed geometry for century rides. I have had the bike 9 months now and love it, will do until I piece a Surly LHT disc together. Per Seven, they recommended a 32 hole rear wheel for towing the trailer and the bike will handle it with ease, I chose a Deep V with 105 hub, should do.
Got my sleeping bag, REI special close out, Mountain hardwear Switch 35 long, should be fine for summer California trips.
Cheaped out on tent, bought a Bass Pro Shop single person, will get a better one later.
Next on list is a Jetboil, still deciding which one will work for me, or if someone has better one in mind, don't want that self-made one though.
I plan not to bring a lot of stuff but am thinking about getting a Topeak handlebar bag that also works as a fanny pack, will be great for taking valuables with me.
I really want to take my Garmin 500 but am worried about charging it, can someone recommend a portable battery charger to top off the Garmin and Smart phone, will be using smart phone for mapping my location? Will also take a paper map, just in case.
I am covered for lighting front and rear, battery operated.
Tools, first aid kit, tubes and bike maintenance stuff will go with me.
Thanks to this touring section I have learned a lot! Still researching though, sure it will be trial and error first time out.