View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 04:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Several points here. First, you probably know this but your accident made the news. Its occurrence was noted far outside just BF.
My accident happened in Norwood, where I work, and know a lot of people. I got a lot of support from my workplace, various citizens of Norwood, and people from some other social groups. Several people have told me that when they heard about a bicyclist hit in Norwood on New England Cable News, they knew it was me.

Second, about commuting vs. risk, for the past two years I also commuted when the days are long enough and the weather warm enough. The possibility of an accident is something I, and I assume most of us, prefer to close our eyes to. Every time we take our tandem out I worry. I worry less so on a solo bike because it is more agile, but I still worry about some inattentive or drunk driver hitting me from behind in a most unlikely place. Nevertheless we ride anyway. You can't run from life.
Well said and so true. My accident occurred a few blocks north of the town center, on a residential, fairly wide and lightly traveled stretch, for that time of evening. The first responders were people I know well, and I was less than a mile from Norwood Hospital.

I have had two other emergency room visits while cycling. The first was up in the exurban Hamilton-Wareham area of the North Shore in the mid-morning on a weekday. I was able walk to nearby Gordon College, and call my wife for ride to Beverly Hospital, where I got some upper lip stitches. The second was on the Third Annual 50+ Ride in the small town of Chelsea Michigan. That happened on mile 96 of a century, in the center of town on a Saturday afternoon. I was taken by ambulance to the nearby local hospital for some facial stitches. The ER nurse made a pointed comment that it couldn't happen in a better place, though the accident occurred due to some road irregularities in the center of town. When riding solo anywhere though, besides being careful and alert, I guess a cell phone is the best solution; I don't think Lifeline is that mobile (“I’ve fallen and I can't get up.”).

For your consideration, there was a recent thread on the General Cycling Discussion Forum, “So, What Happens When You Start To Worry About Getting Hit?,” started by a Bostonian subscriber, mainly about his concern over drop bars vs an upright position:

Originally Posted by Crankykentucky
…I am concerned about riding position and my visibility while riding along medium to high traffic roadways…

I know that you run a risk of injury just stepping into the shower every morning (just ask a friend of mine who slipped and broke her leg in the shower), but is there a reasonable way to approach the riding position issue?,,,
Finally, about that Mass Bike event, please do post another note about it as the day nears!
I made my initial announcement about two weeks ago on the “Official Thread for the 50+ Fifth Annual Ride" on the Fifty Plus Forum. After that initial flurry of interest, I'll probably post again every month or so for a while to generate further interest, though I’d be glad to post here too.