Old 01-24-13, 09:52 AM
nebuer16

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Cannondale CAADX, Niner EMD, Cinelli SC (1965)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
The local REI is is hands down the worst bicycle shop i've dealt with. Top dollar prices for poor quality work with an arrogant attitude to go along with it. I know this is just my local REI, but it's the only point of contact i have with the company.

A broader issue with REI is pricing. Yes, they have their rewards system which gives some money back in the form of a once a year dividend, but not nearly enough to make up for their inflated retail prices.
+1. REI has hugely inflated prices and their shops I've dealt with are shoddy at best.

However... you're considering buying used vs. buying new, which can sometimes be troublesome. If you're familiar with bicycles and repair, and can immediately tell if the frame fits and all components (wheels, bearings, cables and housing, etc.) are in good condition, then I'd go that route. Otherwise you may get something that either doesn't fit or has bum parts you'll need to replace. A shop will replace defective parts, often give repair packages for new bike purchases, and REI will take it back if you don't like it. Just something to consider if you're not real good yet with bike repair and maintenance.