Old 01-24-13, 03:45 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have a true 'rat rod' style road bike?

A fleeting thought about what I ought to do with my recently rescued early '80s Pinarello that's in dire need of paint, decals & general TLC led me to the idea of rather than doing another 'restoration' with proper paint, decals, & all that...what about building the bike up in the same spirit people build up rat road cars...by that I do not mean something purely aesthetic & not functional, but rather building it up with some pretty nice parts - maybe some deep aero wheels, maybe integrated shifting, maybe downtubes, but probably very good brakes and 9 or 10 speeds in the back, but paint with purposeful wear/aging, maybe some sanded/blended primer, clear coat over bare metal where it's rubbed through, etc...just an idea right now. First I need to make sure it fits well enough to be worth more thought, but if so, I'd love to see or hear about your similar projects/bikes or bikes you've seen built in this vein. Share 'em up!

at risk of greatly over-publishing this picture, this is the bike I'm thinking of doing this with (or "to" if you happen to be someone who finds himself or herself truly offended by my idea):