Old 01-26-13, 08:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well, I have a few reasons - I do have a magicshine light I use at night and some of those chinese flashlights, so I'll hook those up when I ride at night, if they're charged (which is occasionally a problem!). I don't know how long the extension cord is on that model you linked, but my magic shine isn't long enough for the battery pack to reach my jersey pockets, and now I have a wire flipping around and hitting me in the head. So there's that. It's cheap enough that I may just buy it anyway and try it out. It would make a splendid additional light for the handlebar even if it doesn't work for my noggin.

My intent is to augment my regular lights - I hate it when it's dark and my main light is blinking but since blinking is easier to see, I want my "to be seen" light blinking. I could absolutely see using one of these on my helmet in blinky mode (or solid with the one on the bars in blinky mode) and I'm a fan of having more than one light so I may just go get one of these anyway and see what's up. I've also convinced myself that the extra elevation from that dude's helmet lights contributed to making him easier to see - I certainly noticed him.
You can buy extension cords for the Magicshine. Just Google it. They cost from $8 to $15 depending on the source and will easily reach from a jersey pocket.

A bright light like the one I linked to doesn't need to flash, especially if it is mounted on your helmet. The light moves when your head moves which is more than enough to get attention. Plus you'll be able to see into corners and illuminate anything you look at.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!