Old 01-26-13, 08:40 PM
H.S.Clydesdale

Bikes: 2013 KHS 747 (by Lennard Zinn), 1987 Nishiki Sport, 1983 Sanwa 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheelbuilding question on spoke length/staying in budget

I am building a wheel around a shimano nexus inter-7 hub, and I need some advice regarding the dish. The hub has a left center-flange distance of 29.5 and a right center-flange distance of 22.0. However, on the spoke length calculator, I get 270.6 on the left, and 269.9 on the right. I could get one box of 271mm spokes, and one box of 270mm, but that is going to cost twice as much as one box of 270mm. It seems to me I can just get the one box considering how close the two lengths are to 270. But, I wonder about the dish. If I am putting equal length spokes, wont that result in a centered hub? I can maybe change the dish by tightening the right spokes more, but I doubt I can really keep track of that.

Also, is it okay to reuse nipples? This is actually a relace to a new rim, so I'll have the nipples, and it looks like I can save $25 by reusing the nipples.

EDIT! nevermind. I just investigated further and the dish if for a hub with a coaster brake, my hub has no brake and therefore no dish. I am set. Still curious about the nipples though.

Last edited by H.S.Clydesdale; 01-26-13 at 09:05 PM. Reason: learned more info