Old 01-28-13, 07:47 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
i should add that as a beginner, you should look for someone who could mentor you, and this person wouldn't need to be a coach. Basically someone who can show you the ropes on how to ride in a pack, how to read a race, etc. Most of us here would be more than happy to help you with that, but preferably, this person would see you in real time.

I'll also add that i know quite a few people who shelled out $60/month for a nominally full service coach and ended up having nothing to show for it.

As for training, another reason why you shouldn't worry about getting a coach is that almost anything you do when you start racing is probably going to give you noticeable gains as the initial gains should come quickly. Get a general gist of training by getting Friel, do a few threshold intervals 2 months away from racing, a few VO2max and anaerobic stuff as the date get closer, and just go out there and race. Oh, and don't forget to recuperate after you've done 1-2 months of racing as your body needs to recover.