Old 02-01-13, 12:41 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Here are a few papers showing that fasted training may be more effective. You get greater increases in oxidative enzymes; VO2max rises faster; your recovery drink becomes more restorative; it's better for you if you are getting fatter and yet is not disastrous even if you are chronically under eating. If you consume food during the workout it reduces the workouts effectiveness.
I figured you'd have the references to back up my post . I read a couple of those papers after I had been doing essentially what they prescribed with good success; I was talking to my coach about that and he sent me the links.

Like all studies I think it's necessary to evaluate individual response; there is no "one size fits all" strategy.

From a personal standpoint, one of the indicators regarding my fitness is the duration I can ride at tempo without feeding before I get bonky. Coming off an extended layoff I'll make 35-45 minutes. In race form I can go nearly two hours.

Prefueling: For longer races I'll fuel 3 hours prior with real food, then supplement during the race. For shorter races I'll top up the glycogen during warmup with 150 or so liquid calories. Training rides (again) will vary according to my scheduled activity and also time of day and prior food.