View Single Post
Old 08-29-05, 07:49 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Very cool. I wish I had such great climbs nearby. Back in 1985 I was in Ithaca, NY at Cornell for two weeks with my bike and I got to do a lot of riding in the hills around there and it was a blast. I'll never forget the ride I took from Ithaca to a friend's family farm south of Corning almost to the Pennsylvania border. Dang, some of those back roads had some hellaciously steep climbs! The worst one was a real b*tch and when I got to the top the pavement ended and it was "paved" with big rocks all the way down. I had to walk it down in my cleats. I also remember riding up Buffalo Street in Ithaca in my lowest gear (42 by 19) on a dare. Ah, to be young again. The biggest hills we have around Gainesville, Florida are only ~100 ft high. You can mash up them in the big ring if you are feeling fresh. In other words, there is no climbs around here.

Welcome back to cycling! Cherish the days like you just have had. I have had days where it feels like there is no chain on the bike and the bike is propelled by magic. Then again some days I keep looking at my rear tire because I'm sure it must be flat.