Old 02-02-13, 12:49 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
These are lifetime purchases, so I have a lot of fun with the process, yet take the research pretty seriously.
I think this part of what gomango said, along with the other comments about how much $1400 is to you personally and looking into other builders, pretty much sums it up. I don't own a custom myself, but I simply Love being on a bike, and I'd be willing to spend a decent sum of money on a custom if I had a better idea of what I wanted. I'm sure I will someday after I spend time on more bikes learning about what geometry is right for me and exactly what I want from the bike. If you're at that point, and you really love being on a bike and will for the rest of your life, then it's worth it if you can afford it. If you can't afford it now, but truly love being on a bike, start saving your pennies and get the custom when you can realistically afford it. If you're still young, whatever age that may be to you, buy it before old age or too much responsibility hits you. You only live once. But don't buy it just because the opportunity is there Now. There are lots of builders and a range of prices and they will be around for a while. Do it when you know what you want, the right person is building it, and the time is right for you. A custom frame would be awesome and you'll probably keep it forever. Therefore, don't do it on a whim without a lot of research. If the frame build is overseas, who is going to help you come up with the measurements on everything to get the perfect end result that you want out of a bike? I feel like that's a big factor.

Last edited by 3speed; 02-02-13 at 01:03 AM.