View Single Post
Old 02-02-13, 12:51 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The old department-store POS that I found covered in house-paint in someone's garbage, was NOT my worst bike. (It was a cheap POS which I put into working order for practically nothing...and i had tons of fun with it)

The nearly new Sears 5-speed with drop bars and fenders which my brother-in-law gave me when I was 13....while heavy, uncomfortable and problematic...was also NOT my worst bike.

When my first bike, which a family friend had given me, broke, that same person gave me an old girl's bike to use temporarily (I was about 6). It had no seat(!), so I'd just ride it standing up. Let my nephew ride it when he came to visit (he's only a year younger than I) and that exposed seatpost ended up going up his wazoo, and giving him a nasty cut!(He's a very accident-prone person). THAT was NOT my worst bike! (I can still picture him, throwing the bike down, and running to mommy, yelling "I'm bleeding! I'm bleeding!" )

My WORST bike was a cheap mail-order "mountain bike" which I bought brand new in the early 90's for $150. It was heavy, slow, uncomfortable, ugly (Dayglo pink was the only color they had!) and generally made for a most miserable riding experience. I only rode it a handfull of times. It was your basic Wal*Mart bike....felt like a three-legged elephant riding that thing! I lived on Long Island at the time....where the riding is generally easy- but it wasn't easy on that POS!

Amazingly, it ended up getting stolen (The only bike I've ever had stolen)- I didn't care. I kinda felt sorry for the thief! He must've been a real dum bass to steal that thing! In fact...if I had known who he was, I would have written him a thank you note! That POS turned me off bikes, until just last year. I was leary of ordering my current bike from Bikesdirect, remembering that horrid mail-order MTB....but luckily, I ended up getting a GREAT bike this time, and now ride 25 miles at a time and enjoy it!