Old 02-03-13, 02:16 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
Great find. I say strip it and harvest the parts.

Strip the decals right off if you can, polish up the frame nicely with scratch-X, take a good photo, and sell it on CL as a frameset. List it as a "nice lugged quality steel frame in Xcm with downtube shifter bosses. Great project frame for taller rider or convert to single speed" I bet you'll get a bunch of calls.

Don't mention the names Diamondback or True-temper. They are not the droids buyers are looking for. You could probably get $50-75 for the frameset if you lived in or near a decent market once spring hits. Maybe even more. Who knows. It'd go fast in Chicago for upwards of $100. I'd rebuild the headset, chase/face the BB so it looked pristine, and push the fact this good-quality lugged vintage frame with down-tube shifter bosses is ready to build and professionally prepped. Many folks hear lugged, & down-tube bosses and immediately they are impressed that it must be a somewhat higher-end vintage frame. They aren't all that far off.

Keep the rest of the parts for another build or sell piecemeal as well. If the wheelset is cleaned up, trued, rebuilt bearings you might get a decent price for them too. The groupset might sell together or a la carte. It depends on if you want to sell them or how much time and effort you want to spend on individual sales.

Good find. But not a flipper whole IMHO. If you want to flip the whole bike at least pull the decals off. The Diamond Back name will to be your friend here for resale value.
A whole lot of wrong info there, if you ask me. Mine was one of the most stable and one of the best handling bikes I've ever owned. You could ride it for blocks on end one handed, without so much as a twitch. When it came time to sell it, it brought $250 the very day I listed it. I probably should have asked more, honestly. The only drawback is that those bikes had spoke issues, especially on the rear wheels. My wheels from the Master I owned popped a spoke every 9-10 miles, but once I got them rebuilt I never had another issue.,,,,BD

This one looked in similar condition to the OP's, when I picked it up for $125.. A little polish, and some new tires, and it got snapped up in a hurry. Really, they are outstanding bikes, worthy of the Centurion name on the left chainstay.