View Single Post
Old 02-03-13, 07:50 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I recently got an iPad--my splurge for 2012. I am reading free books on it, which will defray the cost of the iPad a little.
E-readers or tablets with that functionality are the future of reading material. I've complained in the past that e-books cost $9.99 on Amazon when they will ship you a paperback book with the same title for $2.50. It just doesn't make sense no matter what explanation the publishers give.

I found a solution. This does take work and it does cost a lot of money in the short term. There is a product made by Fujitsu called the Scan Snap iX500. It will scan twenty-five double sided pages in sixty seconds. This is at 150 dots per inch. It costs $449.99 at Amazon. With this machine one could purchase books for $2.50 and run the pages through the machine to put them directly onto an e-reader or tablet computer. It would take sixty books at $2.50 instead of $9.99 to pay for the device. There is a fast way to cut up a book but you'll need a power paper cutter or be very skillful with a band saw. A box of razor blades would do the trick too. It would just take longer. Feeding a three-hundred page book into the machine would only take seven minutes. Then the book could be read on the e-reader and stored there with hundreds of other books.

If I were a voracious reader I would do this. I would rather have a library on an SD card than covering a wall in my home.