Old 02-04-13, 07:46 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
If a DFU fit takes 3-4 hours that shop doesn't know how to use the machine. One of the guys going around and training the new shops getting the machines mentioned the fits should be much quicker than a normal fit for obvious reasons. You can get a comprehensive fit with 5-10 saved positions in under an hour on the DFU.
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That's a joke, right? You obviously don't know what you're talking about then if its not. My fit was done by one of the most experienced around and it took close to four hours. It combined Retul and I probably spent the first 20 minutes just warming up and getting into the ballpark in fitting. Then I did a series of hard (10-15 minute) efforts where power was measured with a few minutes recovery. Each time adjustments were made to find the ideal position in terms of power and efficiency. While this was going on, the video captured details of my motions with the sensors. Minor adjustments were made to take out improper and inefficient motions - one of my lower legs moved all over the place from my prior position that I wasn't aware of. Of all the time I spent, probably one hour was just easy pedaling to recover from the harder efforts. Think of doing sets of intervals with different positions much like an eye exam.
Some of us are more particular than others. I personally would not spend four hours of any of my days to be 'fit' on a bike. I ride so many different ones, I'd blow all of my money on fitting them. Therefore, I fit myself. There are actually some good vids out there, and believe it or not, there is some good advice in this forum. If I were a racer, I would certainly be fit on my race bike, but putting in thousands of miles a year commuting on a road bike, I have yet to encounter an issue where a fit would have helped me even a little bit.

After a build, I am able to dial in the bike within ten minutes. A fitting might be a good initial investment if one payed attention to the methods used and applied them to future builds/purchases.