Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I have definitely found that using fabric softer kills the wicking ability of fabrics and its use is contraindicated for towels, washcloths, and wicking technical fabrics. With thicker thermal jerseys I wear in the cold weather, I get wet and clammy underneath from sweat rather than it being wicked away from the skin. This is also the case with similar undergarments worn for hunting, skiing, and other outdoor activities.

It will come out with repeated washing. Some recommend putting a 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the wash. I have not tried that myself, but it may hasten the process.
Ditto.

Liquid fabric softener is not good for materials who's function is to wick moisture away... detergents degrade the fabrics that are designed to remain waterproof like Gore Tex and other similar materials and the manufacturers advise that specialized cleaners be used to preserve these qualities.

I only had to wash my Columbia shell in the regular wash once to find out how badly the waterproof qualities of the jacket could be affected and when you see yourself riding in the rain every day for over a month, you realize how important it is to use the right cleaners and also found that the proper cleaners also did a better job of cleaning the jacket.