View Single Post
Old 02-08-13, 08:37 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonello
We just signed up for Cycle Oregon. Northwest Tandem Rally (NWTR) reg is not yet open but we plan to sign up. We haven't done either before. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about either. Cycle Oregon route looks very tandem friendly (flat). Can't wait.
Bob & Kathy
Cycle Oregon is often close enough to where I live that I find myself riding the same roads, albeit in the opposite direction, when it passes by. It's a well-organized event. However, the riders are often a bit inexperienced so don't take any chances or make any assumptions; leave yourself a substantial margin for error and expect the unexpected from you fellow riders.

This year's CO brings back some memories. A quarter-century ago, we bought our first tandem and after a few shakedown tours we took off on a trip from near Sacramento to Banff and Jasper. We rode most of the roads that this year's CO is rolling on. I remember our mantra at the time was, "All wind originates in Spokane", which means expect some north winds on this year's ride.