View Single Post
Old 02-10-13, 12:20 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Bicycles Plus Winter Crit p/1/2, Folsom, CA.

7th!! Finally a decent result in a USAC race down here, and in the money (well, Cytomax).

Nice turnout, 68 total for my race. Things started off slow and wound up here and there, but it never got overly fast. No threatening breaks, and I mostly sat in and tried to stay out of the wind.

With about 15 minutes to go I decided to make sure I was up front for the final surges, so I jumped around the side of the field on the backstretch and nestled in to 10th wheel or so. With three laps to go I was still up front, able to follow moves and make sure I didn't get too swamped.

On the last lap I felt great, and was in the thick of the action up front - guys were doing pulls for their team and then blowing up and shooting backwards, which is always a pain to get around safely.. with 1/2 lap to go I thought about going for a jump but didn't have room to get out, so had to wait for the final corner.

In the final sprint I was accelerating past guys but eventually had nowhere to go, had to coast and sit up for 7th. I'll take it!!

my race videos