Old 08-30-05, 04:28 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
After a year's use, My CygoLite NiMH battery gave me 3 hours, 14 minutes of use in 20-35 minutes spurts over about a week. I tested the battery by using my bike computer's timer to keep track of how long I used the light.

Perfomance advertised 5 hours (the NiMH is gone from Performance), but the CygoLite's website claims only 4 hours. I got the light about a year ago, and used it heavily last winter, so this seems about right. What do y'all think?

It would be useful if other BikeForum members did similar tests of their HID's (or any lights, for that matter). I'm not saying to put your guesses down immediately, I'm suggesting using your timer to keep track of exactly how long a charge lasts. If you don't have a timer, you can do it manually. But I am asking for more than guesses.
An excellent Idea. Real owner reports a year later, or even when new. Some real numbers instead of estimates. I like it. Possibly add to the post how long one has owned the light, and maybe the price paid for it too?

We all need to pay attention to slvoid's warning, some lights, even halogen lights, need moving air to keep from damaging themselves. Even my old Nightrider Classic.

Now I know what to use the "stopwatch" function on my computers for.

If Cygolight claims four hours and you used the light a lot during the winter I say that's about what I would expect for NiMh. I think if you charged it fully and used it all at once you would get more burn time, because the days not in use NiMh goes down pretty fast. There is a fair amount of loss in about a week. Some claim 10% the first day for NiMh. You might have a 20% loss due just to the week’s time ? Just a guess so not worth much. Just a point to consider when thinking of a comparison format.

You may have all four hours at one run the day it was charged. 10% of four hours is a 24 minutes loss. You have 46 minutes lost in a week ..not bad. I say you have a great light. For how much??