View Single Post
Old 02-14-13, 08:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I have not found that warmshowers host stays frequently work out that well for me. It can be more hassle to contact them ahead of time, give them the required notice, and so on. I typically do not know where I will want to stop for the day until I am there. Also I seldom know for sure if I will even want to stay in a particular town until the day before and often not even then.

I have found that it cam be very helpful to have a host lined up for the night before starting the trip and the night before flying home.

When I have managed to stay with a warmshowers host it has been nice, but I definitely do not rely on them for a large portion of my stays.

All that isn't to say that I don't wind up staying with people I meet along the way, people I have met here or on the crazy guy forums, and people who contact me via my journal guestbook.

I wind up camping more than staying with hosts and for that I prefer town parks and other free sites. Where they are available I really like hiker biker sites. They are typically cheap and you get to hang out with other tourists.