View Single Post
Old 02-17-13, 07:38 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Calm down CB, I see your point, but driving a car through a school zone at 100 mph, while extreme, is still an example of blatant disregard for public safety by violation of a traffic law, which is still related to the OPs original question as well as a response to Angio Grahm's comment about "no harm, no foul". Premeditated homicide of an individual has nothing to do with traffic law or general disregard for public safety and is not a ticketable offense. I responded to your question but now would like to get back to a discussion relating to the OP's question and not hijack the thread into a debate on capital punishment.

I still assert that cyclists or motorists should be cited for behavior that violates the law and puts others at unreasonable and preventable risk, and that the fact that no actual harm was done does not excuse the action that caused that risk. Illegal behavior (we're still talking traffic violations here) in which due regard for public safety was displayed warrant no more than a warning. A cyclist who does a slow-n-go at a stop sign on an otherwise empty intersection should not receive the citation that a cyclist who blows through a crowded crosswalk against a red light at 30 mph should, nor should a motorist who does a slow-n-go right on red be ticketed in the same manner as someone who blasts through a school zone at high speed. The punishment should fit the violation and the degree to which it goes against public interest.

Hitting a pedestrian and not yielding to a pedestrian in a crosswalk or on a sidewalk.
Now here is some common ground on which we both agree.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-17-13 at 07:55 AM.