View Single Post
Old 02-17-13, 03:08 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepwagner
I must be the only person who can't get reliable readings from the iPhone app. If I try several times in a row, I get readings from 20hz to 120hz.

On the other hand, the mechanic at the shop where I bought the bike told me to tigghten the belt until I heard a clicking or clunking noise from the IGH (Alfine 8), and then back it off until the noise stopped.

The bike (a Civia Bryant) has sliding horizontal dropouts, with a tension adjsuting screw, so that was a piece of cake.

I have only had the bike out for a couple of reltively short rides, and that seems fine. The bike is so quiet that loudest noise (I ride at night) is usually from my clothes. That's eerie.

Still wish I could get reprocible readings from the app.

Mike
You aren't the only one that got mixed results from the iphone app. My builder had the same problem and basically told me the same thing yours did regarding tension with the alfine hub. I don't have an iphone and there isn't an android app that I am aware of. The method your tech told you works for me and after a few tries early on I can get it set pretty good on the first attempt with horizontal dropouts so I would think sliding vertical dropouts it should be a set it and forget it operation. Belt stretch is not an issue with the Gates carbon belts. Let the doubters doubt. Until they have experienced it, they don't know.