View Single Post
Old 02-21-13, 06:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Since most are given the rote 41 answer...I will give you a bit more hope other than tossing your frame.
If you want a real solid answer, post your specs:
Height
Cycling inseam...not pant inseam
Seat tube angle
Saddle height top to BB
Ideally post your saddle tip to BB center...drop a plum line from saddle tip and measure to BB. Or...take your frame reach dimension and subtract saddle to steerer centerline.

A 16mm setback post isn't much. Amateurs...I am one, many time benefit from a bit more setback than the pros. Some pros btw...6' and taller run massive setback...some on the order of 110mm + from saddle tip to BB center. This moves their big body weight and length rearward to take some of the weight off their hands as they tend to run a lot of drop.

So your answer is...it depends. If you haven't experienced with every combination of fit...you don't know. I know if I run a 16mm setback Thomson post on my bike, I will have too much weight on my hands. I need more setback to center my weight.
PS: you may want further insight as to why setback is individual...even for same size riders. There is a reason why some pros can tolerate and ride with little setback:
a. they have much greater sustained pedal pressure than amateurs which naturally unweights the hands and pushs body weight rearward.
b. a more forward saddle position opens up the hip angle which allows for greater drop and a better aero profile.

In summary, two identical riders only with different pedal force may prefer very different setback and drop...based upon a & b above. HTH.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-21-13 at 10:49 AM.