Old 02-22-13, 07:41 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So here are a few consequences as I've seen them:
(1) Cheap hubs: above a certain level, all Shimano hubs have bearing cups that are treated for durability. Low end hubs by all manufacturers don't and some even have simple stamped steel cups that are pressed in. Bearing races, cones and axles are relatively easy to service - changing out a hub can cost more than a cheap wheel is worth - hence ...... scrap metal. There are lots of $40 wheels offered as replacements - I'll only suggest those for scrappers that have a short life expectancy anyway.

(2) Cheap spokes: Galvanized spokes don't HAVE to be poor quality. In some respects plain steel is superior to SS in areas other than corossion resistance. But low grade spokes, plain or SS, will fail sooner and progressively. The first alignment resulting from broken spokes will cost the consumer more than any money saved by using lower grade spokes. The second is just the next installment on a wheelset you don't have.

(3) Improperly tensioned spokes: Leads to either progressive spoke failure (regardless of spoke quality) or rim failure resulting from spokes pulling through the rim. Neither has a cheap solution, completely negating any 'savings' passed to the consumer by cutting corners.

Haven't seen too many rim issues. What I've seen either get dinged through impacts (potholes or low tire pressure), worn through brake pad wear, or scrapped by poor spoke tensioning. Still lots of steel rims around from 40 years ago. Many fewer aluminum ones as they're more likely to get damaged by everything mentioned.

My suggestion is to know what you want, and insist on it - even if it costs extra. Businessmen aren't stupid. Consumers that insist on just shopping for price will usually discover that something was left out to meet that price point.

Last edited by Burton; 02-22-13 at 07:47 AM.