LyzurJane

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh LTD-3, 1989 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
TRL -

* "Another development in the field has been an appreciation of the role of aspects of conspicuity other than visibility. For example, Brooks and Guppy (1996) found that car drivers who had relatives who rode a motorcycle were less likely than average to be involved in a collision with a motorcyclist; one suggestion for this effect is that for these drivers, motorcyclists are more ‘cognitively conspicuous’ (i.e. expected). Recent data from Crundall, Crundall, Clarke and Sharar (2012) are also relevant here; car drivers who also have experience as motorcyclists look in different places for motorcyclists at junctions when compared with other experienced car drivers and with novices. Again the suggested mechanism for this is that their experience as motorcyclists gives them an appreciation of where to look, and this ‘cognitive conspicuity’ aids detection." -- This is consistent with both the "safety in numbers effect" and that bicycling safety can be improved simply by making it "normal", accessible, convenient, and something people can do with little fuss (eg helmets and hi-viz). When motorists, their friends and their families ride cycles, they are more alert to the presence of cycles.
This bit was the most interesting to me.

I've thought for a while that in states where new motorists have to log a certain number of driving hours with an experienced driver before getting their licenses, they should also be required to log a certain number of rides on a bike as well. I'm not sure how such a thing would end up working on the ground, and there would have to be a lot of caveats related to physical ability to ride, of course.

But I suspect that making sure that a lot of motorists have spent some time on a bike would help them understand how to predict bicycle behavior, lane location, etc. If they understand why a cyclist might take the lane (to avoid getting doored, to go around double-parked cars, etc), then maybe they would get less ragey when they have to pass us, for instance.

This study suggests that motorists would not only empathize with cyclists more, but they would actually be able to see us better.