View Single Post
Old 02-24-13, 07:05 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by e_guevara
It surprises me how a lot of people readily dismiss Sora just because it's a low-end group.

Sora was targeted for riders who don't (or rarely) use the drops, i.e. tourers, commuters, but still want the feel of a road lever and the ability to shift without letting go of the hoods. Ergo the thumb-operated shift lever akin to those found on MTB shifters.
that fact that its a 'low-end' group doesnt bug me at all; this is purely a criticism of the poor ergonoic limitations they impose; not an 'elietism' issue.

Road levers have the best braking power from the drops/hooks, not the hoods. Thus it is asinine to make the shifters only work from the hoods; de-integrating your STIs.

The real anser for tourers and commuters is they should be setting their stems higher to get use of all positions on the drop bars. The hoods-only design discourages this; limit options.

also, in the case of a performance oriented roadie starting out on an entry level bike; having hoods-only shifting may be a barrier to growth, keeping them from moving to the drops. -hmmmh, maybe thats what Shimano intended; a forced upgrade of parts.... if you want to use the drops you need new shifters, and a 9/10/11 spd cassette, etc -evil genius marketing