View Single Post
Old 02-25-13, 07:41 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've toured on both mountain bikes and tourers. I prefer my tourer, but there's nothing wrong with a mountain bike if you have enough room to avoid heel strike with your panniers. I have size 14s and was always able to find room, though sometimes it was tight. You can avoid this with a trailer, but that's another issue. I've toured twice with my Bob trailer and I prefer panniers.

This probably doesn't help, but I prefer to save enough money prior to my tours that I don't worry about what stuff costs. I still look for bargains and try to travel cheaply, but I don't sweat it if I need to stay in a motel, and if it works out that there's a nice restaurant when I need to eat, I'll order what I want and not worry. On my last tour I booked a sleeper on Amtrak to get to the start. The sleeper was expensive, but so nice!

I've come a long way. When I started I spent as little as possible - stealth camping, etc. I've had fun either way.