Old 02-25-13, 06:37 PM
TripleU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Karate Monkey reach with drop bars

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now deciding on frame sizes.

I currently ride a 60cm Kona Dew Plus (2008). I bought it used a few years back thinking it was a good deal (and because I knew nothing about bikes back then). Only problem is that it is extremely oversized for me. I'm 5' 10" with 30" inseam while the bike has an effective top tube 23.5" and standover of 32.2". I've enjoyed riding it just fine and have done fine with it.

This week I decided to upgrade it with drop bars. This extended the reach by about 5 and now I can't ride it comfortably. It hurts my hands and I lean too far forward. I've put in a lot of time and money on components of this bike so I don't want to get a new bike, but decided to look at getting a new frame instead.

So, finally to my question, I've found a used Surly Karate Monkey 18" frame which sounds smaller at first glance, but looking at the geometry it isn't. I've read countless other threads and there have been people my size getting the 18" and fitting fine, but not with drops. The standover height is one inch lower on the Surly than on my Kona, the seat tube and head tube angles are about 1.5 degrees more in my favour (shortening the TT length) but the effective TT length is the same (despite the Kona being the 2nd largest out of 8 sizes and the Surly being the 2nd smallest out of 4 sizing options).

I'm hoping to hear some advice or other experiences about the geometry and bike fitting. I really only need about 4-5 inches shorter of a reach than I currently have. Will this frame give me that?

Thanks