Old 02-27-13, 09:11 AM
bhayes505

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I have a couple of suggestions for you;

I spent most of last summer buying and trying bibs from different companies and different price points so here you go FWIW!

PI in general, soft and comfortable bib (no nipple burn )

PI Attack bibs (cheaper of the bunch, I've gotten them from $60), very comfortable if just getting into longer rides but the chamois is a little bulky and the materials definitely don't compress as well as the higher end ones. That being said these are very comfortable and still one of my favorites for long rides.

PI Elite N R Cool, padding is a little thin for my taste but some really prefer that (I use them for 5-40mile rides), great soft bib portion as all PI's have. I purchased a couple of pairs off of Ebay (different merchants) and both were much shorter than what I wanted. They were listed as 9 or 9.75 inches can't remember which but when seated and pedalling they come up the thigh at least an inch and a half higher than all my other shorts. I've gotten these from $75 and up.

Bellwether Forma Bibs - These are actually one of my favorites, price in the mid $50's. The material and compression on the thigh is great, I didn't know that this was a desired feature until I tried these shorts. The padding is extremely comfortable, not too bulky and not too thin I use these on many of my longer rides 60+miles. The fit is extremely good as is the construction. There is one notable problem for me though which caused me grief on a century, and that is the bibs themselves are not nearly as soft as the PI's and they would start to bother my "chest areas" (you know what I mean). I still love these bibs though, and for the price can't be beaten.

Castelli, Free Aero Bib, by far my favorite bib (and most expensive), but I found them at stellar prices from www.classiccycling.com at around $140 vs. $220 cheaper than ebay as well. They are phenomenal and there is nothing so far that I've gotten from Castelli that I would not recommend, but I'd stick to the progretto 2 chamois vs. the kiss chamois. It's very comfortable, not too bulky and not too thin. I don't think I'd go back to PI's higher end shorts when these can be had at good prices. The cut below the belly is a little weird to get used to (especially for me when I still have a bit of a paunch), but absolutely well worth every dollar.

I've heard great things about Giordana and have bought a cold weather jacket that I like very much. Will probably try a pair of their bibs this summer.

Hope this helps in some way enjoy!
Thanks so much for the info robbyville!