Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
When it comes to Twenty modifications/improvements, I always think of Sixty Fiver's bikes, he's took the baton from Sheldon Brown and ran with it. Congrats on the new gig, and good luck with it!
Sheldon inspired me to build up Forrest which was about as radical as it gets... plan was to make the bike separable and pack-able rather than use it for quick folds.

On the lighter side, the stock headset is serviceable but the 20 does get much nicer when you convert the stock headset to a modern one and have converted several of these by integrating a modern thread-less headset with the existing Raleigh hardware to retain the adjustment.

Alloy wheels are a definite improvement as are better brake pads although by modern standards, the 406 equipped R20 is a poorer stopping bike and not as good as the 451 equipped British model which has steel calipers and shorter reach brakes.

My other 20 is pretty much stock and has only had it's rims replaced with alloy ones... it is a fine bicycle and most suitable for trips of 10-20 km where one is not pushing the pace while Forrest was designed for centuries and multi day / week adventures but is also a great daily driver.

I am building up a 20 for my favourite mother in law and it will be getting alloy wheels and v brakes (and fresh powder)... the only thing she does not like about riding a 20 is the stopping power and with modern brakes the pull will also be much lighter.