Old 03-02-13, 09:59 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBMaven
I'm in a similar situation as the OP. Cyccommute, in an earlier post you said a 10 speed road shifter will work with 7,8,9 speed mountain rear derailleurs. Therefore couldn't the OP run the 10 speed 105 brifter with 9 speed derailleur and cassette? Our is it that the index spacing of the 10 speed shifter is designed to work with the spacing on the 10 speed cassette? And that the derailleur is just moving the chain around based on what the shifter tells it.

Big bummer about the 10 speed mountain derailleur not working with road shifters. I picked up a used XT derailleur with hopes of using that with my existing Ultegra 10 speed shifters. I think I might just go with 9 speed barcons, mountain derailleurs and cassette. I have a new Velo Orange triple crankset I plan to use. I can just keep the Ultegra brifters but just use them as a brake lever to save a little coin.

Also investigating ability of 10 speed bacon (Shimano SL-BS79) working with 10 XT rear derailleur.
I use the 105 shifters 5600 10 speed and triple shifters and use a 10 speed cassette 11-32 with an XT rear derailluer. This works but be sure that you are not using the dyn-sys derailluers.