View Single Post
Old 03-03-13, 06:12 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 886 Posts
Sunset ride on the Minuteman to Lexington Center, cool and breezy with an intermittent, barely perceptible drizzle, 10 miles. Hints of the Night Chorus in the swampy sections, seems a little early in the season for that... perhaps it was between my ears, not in them. The silvery light of an overcast afternoon slid down the luminance scale to gray dusk during the ride back, and I turned on a headlight near Arlington Center. The timing worked out so that I heard six o'clock electronic carillon performances first drifting across Pierce Field from the First Baptist Church, then with great clamor from the steeple of Saint Agnes as I rode past on Medford Street. The Baptists were playing "How Great Thou Art", which I recognized from my South Georgia childhood; don't know what the Catholics were playing, but it was stately, and decorated with some lovely arpeggios (and LOUD). This ecumenical flood of hymnody in Arlington Center transitioned rather naturally to the doppler-shifting engine noise of several jets that Logan ATC had apparently directed to orbit North to South over East Arlington; sequestered, maybe.

rod