View Single Post
Old 03-06-13, 06:07 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by echo victor
Thanks for the ideas, Auchen. I've picked up some PB Blaster, so that's my next step. You think that an OA bath is necessary? I was hoping to get most of the rust off with vinegar (tried that recently with a Fuji, and it worked well - although some places where the paint was exposed to the vinegar seem to have gotten a little cloudy)......
I recommend a bath because the stuck stem and post, and some bloom of rust through the paint indicates long-term exposure to the elements, so I would expect all of the interior surfaces to have rust too. - Though I think it's superficial, it's always important to address r-u-s-t effectively. (Follow up the bath with the usual dose of Frame-Saver or T-15 Boeshield internally, and a liberal application of wax externally.)

The more worrisome thing E.V., is the stuck stem and post: I'll light a candle for you, that they come out OK. MOST of the time, they will be OK, but you have to accept that there is a chance they will not... Just be patient and give it your level-best.

-I hope some day soon to see a new post from you, trumpeting your victory over them.

Last edited by auchencrow; 03-06-13 at 06:55 AM.