Old 03-07-13, 11:43 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pctjeff23
I was hoping to avoid the hard case because I would be doing a point to point multi-day bike trip and I want to avoid lugging the heavy case on the actual ride. I'd have to look into soft cases as this would probably be better than a cardboard box, assuming I padded and wrapped the bike well to protect it like you said. I thought the weight limit was 50 lbs for most (or all) airlines. The bike is 21, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I know what you mean. There was another thread in which the OP and other posters wanted to know how to basically land, deplane, unfold, and ride off. That means either gate checking the bike, or else using a case as you describe that could be folded or scrunched up, tucked away, and then away you go.

Now, here's one biker who used an integrated luggage/tow carry solution that offers a nice balance between convenience and protection. Not sure if it is what you'd want to pursue but it is uber cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwStL94Xudo

Me? I don't usually go city to city, so I'm happy to just bus or taxi it to my hotel, unload the case, unfold, and then head out.

Here's my packed Brompton, ready to check in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Packed BW Case Small.jpg (99.1 KB, 22 views)