Old 03-09-13, 11:43 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I posted the times for PR. You are incorrect. Very, very incorrect. The times are all over the place because weather is such a critical factor. Scroll back and look for yourself.
I think I see the problem. When I say "consistent", I mean consistent over a period of time, not that each year is consistent with the next.

The fastest race in 1964 had a strong tailwind and only 22km of cobbles. I posted a link to this as well. So that would be another fact you've gotten wrong.
I posted that 1964 was the fastest Paris-Roubaix and to prove me wrong you post that 1964 was the fastest Paris-Roubaix?

Faster bikes don't guarantee faster races because they don't exist in a vacuum. Race radios have altered racing and, I believe, slowed them down in many cases until critical points in the race. The dynamics or racing have changed as well with no rider or team dominating like has happened in the past.
As I've written repeatedly, "faster bikes don't make faster bike races" is nonsensical.

This would affect ave spd, non? And what does ave spd have to do with anything? It is a useless metric.
Seriously? What does average speed have to do with how fast bicycles are?

I also notice how you conveniently ignore any of the very specific questions I have asked you to comment on which show just how silly some of your assertions are.
I've tried to answer all your questions. I think you just don't like the answers.

Davis Phinney was an early adopter and claimed it was an unfair advantage - his words.
Can you name any race he won with STI against riders using DT shifters?

I ALSO started racing with DT shifters and continue to race (albiet much slower and much less frequently) and you couldn't pay me enough to give up STI, Ergo or the like.
How did your results change once you went to STI?

No, you have been talking about a lot of other things as well. If it was all about speed it could be settled in a wind tunnel. Oh wait, it already was.
Read my OP again. It's all about speed.

One more question for you to not answer: Was was typical RR gearing for a five or even six spd freewheel, for a flat race, and what is it now?
Straight block with a thirteen on the bottom, and later a twelve. I assume it's the same now, albeit with an eleven.

I'd appreciate your thoughts as to why they are different.
Because spinters stand and hammer a big gear at relatively low cadence now, whereas they used to sit and spin a smaller one.