Old 03-10-13, 11:42 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Have enjoyed some of the backpack/bag/pannier threads recently. I hesitate to add a new one but..

I am taking an art class, drawing, this semester. A friend loaned me his art bag and some of the supplies. The bag is huge.

There is no way I am commuting with that bag. So 1 day a week I drive. Not a big deal. Miss the ride tho.

Surely there are some artists out there. Do any of you carry your supplies on your bike? If so, what do you use?

thx
Well, my long term answer is that I don't work in large media. Or I find a way to break it down into parts. If I can't carry it on the bike, I don't do it. That was true even before I went to digital media. So generally, when I was in school, I'd buy the elements for the canvas, and stretch the canvas at school and do all my work on it there. I forget how I got the paintings home at the end of the quarter. Could be I walked or took a bus or rode very carefully and slowly.

I remember building a camera dolly and hand them pre-cut all the wood at the lumber yard and stacked it on my rack and bungeed it down. The other big component was a swiveling lab chair to go on top. That I bought downtown at a thrift store and just took the bus straight to the university.

For my puppetry classes, I was doing shadow puppets and made the stage of a heavy duty cardboard box and folded it flat and bungeed it to the rear rack.

I had a motorcycle when I was taking my drawing classes, I used a drawing board and put it into a paper art case and bungeed it to the bike and sat on the leading edge as I rode. That proved to be aerodynamic enough that I never had problems on the freeway.

Nowdays, I could probably haul large art projects on my Bikes at Work trailer.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.