View Single Post
Old 03-10-13, 11:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a 1985 Miyata 912. This was a very fine, upper mid-range model for the period. Miyata were arguably the beat mass volume manufacturers during this era.

However, the bicycle does have some issues. As noted, the original levers have bee replaced. The New 600EX pedals are missing their toe clips and straps. Unfortunately, the clips are clips are dedicated and replacements are getting hard to find and are often expensive, so you may want to factor in the cost of replacement pedals.

The drivetrain shows signs of a heavy use. The inner chainring is due for replacement. This means the chain and rear cogs probably require replacement too. I'm not sure if this year uses a freewheel or cassette and the catalog specs are unclear. If it's a freewheel it's no issue, as six speed HyperGlide freewheels are plentiful and inexpensive and the HyperGlide is no brainer upgrade for the improved shifting. However, if it's a cassette the required Uniglide style are getting hard and expensive to find. A modern HyperGlide style cassette can be modified fairly easily for all but the theaded outer cog. The other alternatives are to transplant a HyperGlide body, replace the hub or the whole wheel.

While I'm a big fan of Miyata this one has enough issues to make me weary. I'd have no problem with the asking price, were it in good mechanical condition but this one has enough signs that I'd suspicious of the overall wear and tear. If it uses a cassette, I wouldn't go over $150, even in a relatively hot market.
I'm a big fan of Miyata too, I own a Team since new in 87 and a 88 712 I found in a garage sale around 95. I really like mine a lot, both have the splined triple butted tubing which makes the frame quite a bit stiffer then other steel bikes of the era.

That bike sounds like it needs a lot of work. It is a freewheel unless someone converted it over at some time. Unless you want to restore it back to it's original factory condition you can find pedals pretty cheap brand new and get toe clips and straps cheap too. The inner chainring could be a problem finding with some models, but the freewheels are plentiful and you can get really nice ones too.

I would figure up the cost to get the bike into riding condition, present that to the owner along with how much current ones in good rideable condition sell for and make him an offer with the cost of the parts subtracted. He probably knows he's over priced on it, so he will deal with you if you show him the facts. If he's unwilling to deal then walk away after giving him your phone number in case he changes his mind.

Edit; I'm a bit foggy on the Shimano, I thought the ES was non indexing, but I was reading another web site that said it means indexing. Check with IRD if you want a quality unit or Shimano if you want a lower end unit. Also the larger gapped gearing of 14 to 28t cluster are less expensive then the closer gapped racing clusters. If it's the Uniglide you can find those on E-Bay for around $40 on E-Bay, here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

Last edited by rekmeyata; 03-10-13 at 11:31 PM.