Old 03-12-13, 07:54 PM
dwrz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decaleur on Carbon Fork OR Advice on Handlebar Bag w/ Cross Top Levers

I have a Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ross_ti_xi.htm), bought used with some minor modifications (Salsa Cowbell 2, TRP CX9 Mini-V's, Marathon Supremes, etcetera). I use this bike for long distance riding and light touring (paired with a Carradice Camper + Bagman, or Tubus Airy with Ortlieb Front Rollers).

1. I have a Klickfix adapter (for 31.8) and Ortlieb Ultimate 5 from another bike. I can't seem to mount the adapter due to the brake barrel adjuster getting in between the mount. I had my levers set up horizontally and have read in some posts that the solution is to angle them downwards. It makes a lot of sense-- would it require me to unwrap and rewrap the bar tape to make this adjustment (ugh)? I live in NYC and need to use the cross top levers all the time, so removal is not really an option.

2. Alternatively, would it be possible to mount a decaleur/small front rack? Something like the Nitto M12? My main concern is the carbon fork (safety) and the weight capacity. I need to be able to at least carry a dSLR, lens, battery pack and phone (food and warming layers would be nice, too). Would the decaleur improve handling over the bar bag? I guess I should note that I do cover gravel and muddy roads pretty frequently on the bike.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.