View Single Post
Old 03-13-13, 08:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
One day I was amazed to find that the left side bottom bracket spacer (the part that fills the space between my cartridge bottom bracket and the shell) started to unthread. Used a long nose pliers to tighten it enough to keep it from unthreading. No, I do not carry a bottom bracket tool on tour, but I have thought about it. Instead I just made sure that it was tight.

Last summer someone I was touring with needed a new bottom bracket. Was not a field fix, the manufacturer had to send one to a bike shop we expected to be near.

Last summer on the next to last day on my tour, my freehub stopped spinning freely, meaning that when I coasted that my drivetrain wanted to force my crank to turn. I had the cassette removal tools along but decided not to bother with it, instead I just minimized coasting and kept pedaling. When I got home I found that my plastic spoke protector had broken and shifted in position, it was rubbing on the back side of the cassette. Thus, if I had pulled the cassette off when it had happened, I would have found that problem and been able to fix it easily by removing the spoke protector.

I suggest blue locktite on all kickstand bolts and rack bolts before you leave on your trip. Could save you some real trouble.

Also, on your first day of your tour, before you get on your bike, if you have shoe cleats check to make sure the bolts are tight. If they were loose, tighten them and also recheck a week later.

I have never personally known someone to break a seatpost bolt, but I hear that it can really ruin your day ... or days until you get it fixed.